Today, when I try to launch the debugger, I got the below error
I have checked my permissions in the Navision, and I have SUPER, and there is no company specified for the permission set. So I have compared my permissions with other users, and I haven’t noticed anything different on the NAV side.
Then I opened the SQL Server and checked the Access Control table; then I spotted one difference with my permission set SUPER and with another user who has the same permission set. The [App ID] column has value for my permission set, but it is to 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 for the other user.
I ran a simple UPDATE query for my [User Security ID] to set the [App ID] to 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, and that resolved my issue
If you have any other Tips or suggestions, please do share them in the comments below.